I never want to seem alarmist but as winter is finally on the way many of us have now put on the heating and in this difficult economic times we many have put back some important maintenance work on our trusty boilers whether it is oil, gas, coal or wood there are hidden unseen and very unforgiving dangers around the corner if we are not vigilant. As a local firm of Norwich Plumbers we are not gas registered so this is not a sales pitch but what it is can only be classed as is a plea to be safe for one day we do hope you will be our client for your other plumbing needs.

The most dangerous in many eyes is Gas we have listed many of the does and don’ts when dealing with the smell off gas, be sensible be safe.

What shoud I do if I smell gas?

What should I do if I smell gas?

What should I do if I Smell Gas?

If you enter a property and smell gas and only if it is safe to do so

  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter using the control valve
  • Open all doors and windows.
  • Keep people away from the affected area.
  • Put out naked flames

You must never

  • Never ignite a naked flame / strike a match etc.
  • Never touch any electrical appliance (including light switches).


The National Grid operates a free emergency 24 hour telephone number if you detect gas – 0800 111 999. Deaf or hard of hearing – minicom / textphone 0800 371787.

As Plumbers we are also very concerned with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning it is unseen and does not smell and it can kill you or a loved one if not spotted quickly, we have read many horror stories in the press but many believe that it won’t happen to them. We hope you are right but lets play safe

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: The Silent Killer

This is a very serious danger within the home, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced when carbon based fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood are not burnt correctly.

Every good Norwich plumber knows there are a number of reasons why boilers and wood burners can give off this non smelling lethal gas called Carbon Monoxide (CO), it can be caused by the incorrect installation of appliances and their flues. Incorrect ventilation and lack of servicing can also cause an appliance to burn incorrectly. Warning signs to look out for; include if the flames appear lazy and yellow and appliances are surrounded by large amounts of soot, these are all tell-tale signs that CO is being produced.

The symptoms that you can get from exposure to Carbon Monoxide varies you can get headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue, and severe cases exposure to Carbon Monoxide can lead to convulsions, unconsciousness and even death.

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

If you are start feeling the symptoms of CO poisoning get outside of the property straight away. If you have been feeling ill and suspect CO poisoning ask your doctor for a CohB test. In severe cases call 999 immediately.

As we head into winter it is important to Ensure that all appliances are serviced on a regular basis, and it is a good idea to fit a CO2 alarm, making sure that it meets the EN50291 Standard. Your CIPHE installer or Norfolk Trusted Trader Plumber can fit one of these for you when they service your appliances, or you can fit one yourself the Kidde 900-0230 BSI Battery Premium Range Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital costs as little as £16.50 at present from normal retail price is £36.52. This is a very small price to pay to save yours or a family member’s life.


This is also a good time to check your smoke detectors

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.